Dr. Weiss is an experienced tooth extraction dentist in Brooklyn. When the extraction of a tooth is required:
1) An incision in the gums is made 2) The tooth is removed 3) The area is stitched up and is allowed to heal
During this time, it is important to think about a tooth replacement option. An extracted tooth leaves an open area in the jaw which, in time, allows the neighboring teeth to drift into the area where the tooth was extracted. This in turn, causes a chain reaction to all the surrounding teeth. Also, if you are considering placing an implant in the future, you should consider asking your dentist to place a bone graft at the time of surgery to preserve the bone width and height.
After Extraction Care
1) DO NOT RINSE MOUTH TODAY Tomorrow rinse mouth gently every 3 to 4 hours (especially after meals) using one quarter teaspoon of salt to a glass of warm water. Continue rinses for several days.
2) BLEEDING Following extractions, some bleeding is to be expected. If persistent bleeding occurs, place gauze pads over bleeding area and bite down firmly for one-half hour. Repeat if necessary.
3) SWELLING Ice bag or chopped ice wrapped in a towel should be applied to the operated area; one-half hour on, and one-half hour off for 4-5 hours.
4) PAIN For mild to average pain, use any non-aspirin type of medication you like. If the doctor prescribes a specific pain medication, follow the instructions and do not mix with other medications unless approved by your doctor.
5) FOOD Light diet is advisable during the first 24 hours.
6) BONY EDGES Small sharp bone fragments may work up through the gums during healing. These are not roots; if annoying, return to our office for their simple removal.
7) If any unusual symptoms occur, call the office at once.
8) The proper care following oral surgical procedures will hasten recovery and prevent complications.
A Beautiful Smile Is Waiting For You
Our office provides smile makeovers to achieve the beautiful, natural look you seek. We can reshape your natural teeth to make them straighter and more youthful. Our office is easily accessible and makes it convenient to those living near Brooklyn and Brooklyn to get the care they deserve.
Do you need dental work done? Has it been a while since you've been to the dentist? Do you just need a regular cleaning or are you looking for a brand new smile? Requesting an appointment is available online 24/7 and is as simple as submitting a simple form.